Risk Management Claims Specialist
Website North Clackamas Schools
North Clackamas Schools
Risk Management Claims Specialist, 8 hrs/day (1.0 FTE), Full Time, Permanent
The North Clackamas School District strives to create an inclusive environment that welcomes and values the diversity of our staff and students. We foster fairness, equity, and inclusion to create a workplace environment where everyone is treated with respect and dignity.
The North Clackamas School District is a growing district on Portland’s east side. North Clackamas is known for its high quality of living. With approximately 2,000 employees, North Clackamas is nationally recognized for outstanding programs supported by the efficient utilization of resources. The North Clackamas community expects, and school leaders ensure, accountable and transparent investments that place funding as close to the student as possible.
This position is responsible for administering the District’s liability claims, property claims, workers’ compensation programs, and other categories of risk as it relates to schools, public institutions and general work environments. Incumbent is responsible for analyzing risk exposure information, and supporting the goals and objectives of the risk management programs.
Initial wage placement according to NCSD/OSEA Collective Bargaining Agreement.
CLASSIFIED WAGE SCHEDULE 2019-2020
Classified Job Group H
$24.33 – $34.24
Based on the appropriate wage schedule, the District will pay the employee’s 6% contribution to the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), upon eligibility.
WORK CALENDAR: 260 days
Incumbents must have successful experience in working with culturally diverse families and communities, or have otherwise demonstrated a commitment to strengthening engagement of a diverse community and skill in communicating with a diverse population.
- Bachelor’s degree and two (2) years of experience in risk management and/or applicable workers’ compensation experience.
- Related work experience and professional designations / certifications may be substituted for the educational requirement.
- Working knowledge of commercial insurance terms and conditions and claims handling best practices for liability, property damage and workers’ compensation.
Skill in the use of program support technology, office software, spreadsheets, presentations and databases.
Administrative knowledge of general risk loss procedures and programs.
- Ability to interact with employees, managers and 3rd parties personally, telephonically, and in writing at a high level of communication and articulation.
- Must be able to present complex and difficult information, including in emotional and difficult situations, with calm, deliberate and clear organization.
- Initiative and ability to work with minimal direction; sound judgment and decision making capabilities are essential.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all matters.
- Bilingual and bicultural skills.
- Workers’ compensation examiner certification with the State of Oregon or other applicable certifications / licensures in risk management or claims management.
- Experience in a public school or public organizational setting.
Major Duties and Responsibilities (depending on specific assignment):
Administer the District’s workers’ compensation program. Duties to include but are not limited to:
- Provide proactive and cost-effective incident/claims management, including investigations into cause and compensability questions.
- Provide oversight of external claims adjusters to ensure alignment with District interests while balancing with employee needs.
- Oversee the District’s modified duty / alternative work program, including, but not limited to, coordinating the creation of alternative work positions and assigning employees to those positions dependent on review the medical documentation and continued monitoring of medical status and work restrictions.
- Coordinate Employer-at-Injury Program (EAIP) and Preferred Worker Program claims.
- Provide proactive and cost-effective incident/claims oversight of automobile, property and general liability exposures; to include investigations into cause, damages, and liability issues for potential loss exposures, determining the District’s liability exposure and ensuring claims are resolved at the lowest possible cost while supporting and balancing student, community, customer and public concerns.
- Provide oversight of external claims adjusters in an effort to assure alignment with District interests.
- Interact with District employees, community members and insurance adjusters in the claim discovery process.
Administer third party claims in a proactive manner, in an effort to recover the District’s losses, coordinating with external claims adjusters when appropriate.
Administer Driver Certification Program for drivers of non-DOT District owned vehicles.
- Assist with the annual renewal of District property, casualty and workers’ compensation insurance policies.
Interact with the public, staff, governmental agencies, insurance companies and adjustors, presenting and exchanging claims information that may be technical or complex.
- Participate in claim, accident prevention, and safety review committees and processes providing records and input and documenting identified action requirements.
May compile and present accident and claim information to administrators to support loss prevention awareness and programs.
- Support other risk management initiatives and programs, such as safety, environmental health, and emergency preparedness.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug Free Workplace.
North Clackamas School District policy provides veterans and disabled veterans with preferences as required by law.
To apply for this job please visit www.applitrack.com.